View Single Post
Old 07-06-2020, 04:36 AM
OurWorkbench

Default July 4, 2020 - Colorado Get Together, Part 3

Leon

Leon, from Kansas, shared some pictures from a recent trip out. He writes:

Saturday I did a bit of traveling. I found these machines at an antique/junk shop. I have an industrial 29 that needs some pieces. Maybe this (1890) can be a donor. The 88 Lotus is one that I had been looking for for a while. One afternoon of cleaning and oiling had it working again (1906) I had been looking at the Western Electric for three years, and they dropped the price to lower than half of the original. I jumped on it. (1917 ish) The Western Electric (badged National) came with a bentwood case.

leon-machines.jpg

Also here are pics of a treadle belt cutter and pliers punch. Not all may know these.

leon-pliers.jpg

Leon

Dorothy

Dorothy has been busy sewing tops. From an email excerpt to Janey, she shares:

I have done little sewing other than work which has been interesting. Production plants closed, but design efforts keep moving forward.

I have been looking for natural fabrics, as synthetics are hot on me. Ordered in a woven hemp cotton blend (55/45) to dye. Linen in light weights. A splendid discovery is a Batik print knit- all cotton and 72" wide from Maggie's Sewing in Longmont! Absolutely a great find in a quilt store. Maggie's purchased the store in the last year and have expanded into another section, which includes a small display of vintage machines!

I attached a photo of the fabric. It is teal & navy with the leaf pattern slightly lighter blue. I suspect it is a Batik wax on an initial light blue ground. Then a 2 step - I can not tell if it is Tie Dye or some sort of splotchy 2 tone print but there is no cracking on the leaves so 2 tone print it is.

Interesting, the selvedge is a rolled hem on both sides! It is a heavy knit, already cut into a tank top ready to sew.

dorothy.jpg

Happy sewing to all!

Dorothy

In Closing

We look forward to what the coming month will bring and hope for good news. We will share the activities of our Colorado group (and other welcome visitors) here again next month. Everyone be safe and stay well!