View Single Post
Old 07-07-2020, 04:23 AM
Onebyone
Power Poster

If you plan on doing cross hatching a lot, the straight edge tool from Lowe's or Home depot will be invaluable. It is a long two inch wide metal ruler. I have the 4 ft one and the 6 ft one. The longest one was $12. I can lay it on the quilt top and mark straight lines with a Crayola Ultra Washable marker or what ever way you like to mark. I have never had any luck with tape for marking.

The few times I used pins to baste turned out to be miserable when machine quilting. I have used glue, sprays, and fusible for basting but I now use Free Fuse basting powder. It's wonderful. I start from the middle edge and quilt all the way to the other side. I do one half the quilt at a time. I spread the quilt taunt while sewing. I use a walking foot for straight lines. The bigger the sewing table the better.

I use to set up folding tables around my sewing table making a large fat L shape so the quilt could lay smooth. When basting my quilt I set up folding tables the size of the quilt and use the iron to heat set the glue or fuse powder on each side.