View Single Post
Old 07-08-2020, 11:50 AM
EmiliasNana

Default Dr. Who tartis/Apollo 11 two sided quilt

I've had this quilt in my mind for a few years now but wanted our grandson to enjoy the rather difficult quilt I made for him several years ago. He is now 7 years old, fascinated in all kinds of science and wants to build a "teleporter" when he grows up so the travel from his house to ours doesn't take 14 hours!
I used two patterns: Relatively Dimensional from Hunter's Design Studio (There are directions for custom ordering the worded sections from spoonflower.com inside the pattern), and the kit Giant Stitch from Kelli Fannin Quilt Designs.
I had to add borders to the sides of the tartis, and the top and bottom of the Apollo to enable me to make them two sided and they ended up approximately 56" x 80". As seen here they are now sandwiched and ready to quilt. I'm using a flange border with navy on the tartis side, and an orange flange on the Apollo side. Since I don't want to put a label on either side I used the alphabet on my sewing machine to "write" my message of: To Eli Love Nana 2020 on one side of the binding before I attach it. I hope you enjoy.....I know he will : ) Binding picture is below in a separate post.
resized-dr-who-tartis.jpg resized-apollo-11.jpg