Old 07-09-2020, 04:44 AM
Snooze2978

Not even close for me. I have a project shelf to keep those projects still in the process of becoming a project. I think of the person the quilt will be for, I get their likes and dislikes ahead of time..........pattern, colors, size. Then as I see patterns I think might work I put that up on the shelf in one spot, then add fabrics I think will go with it. This could take a year or more depending on what happens between times. Right now I'm so backed up with quilts to be quilted, quilts in the process to becoming a flimsy and those I'm working on at the time. Then if its summer some of my time is spent outside in the gardens. Finally when its time to start that particular project, I go thru all the patterns that have accumulated, the fabrics, etc. Then I decide which one it will be, making sure I have enough fabrics. Then I cut the amount of fabrics I need, get them starched and pressed, then CUT. I make lots of little notes telling me how many strips of each fabric I need, how many pieces of each fabric I need and so on. I even get the sashings, borders and bindings all cut ready to go hanging them on a hanger so i don't cut into them by mistakes. I'll make 1 block to make sure I'm doing it correctly and I like the combination. This I'll do before I cut all the strips so I don't waste it. On my little note with all my measurements, I'll check it off once I get that particular fabric cut so I don't cut it twice. I also use EQ8 from time to time to make sure I have my amounts correct, how many sections I need cut for each fabric. This came in handy when I started my mock Cathedral Windows by Missouri Quilts. When you start putting the blocks and rows together you automatically make another inner row so more of those pesky folded triangles are needed as well as the center fabric. I found out I needed another 400 folded triangles and 72 more center fabrics due to this fact. Its a queen size I'm making so 90 original blocks with 72 inner blocks. I can only imagine how heavy this thing will get as I'll be adding batting and backing once its all together and quilting it................to be given to the couple next May if we're out of this pandemic by then.