View Single Post
Old 07-11-2020, 07:42 AM
Iceblossom

I decided to go ahead with a prototype block using a couple of contrasting scraps that I actually, yes, did pick up off the floor. I've designed it to finish as a 10" block with the 1" blades. For me the design consideration turns out to be that octagon in the middle, if you want your blade width to be the same as the octagon, the bigger the blades the bigger that octagon needs to be. 1.5" blades makes that about 4" wide. As it is with 1" rays, it is about 3" across in a 10" block.

Gay's block shows what I was thinking of, I'm treating this more as an exercise in Lemoyne star construction.

The way I work, I cut and sew large and then trim down for accuracy. That does mean you need to do some accurate cutting. For this, I've been using my Quilt in a Day Kaleidoscope ruler to cut my triangles.
https://www.quiltinaday.com/shoponli...t-in-a-Day/708
A 60 degree ruler makes a hex (6 sides). You need 45 degrees for octagons (8 sides).

My strips I already knew were going to be 1" finished, so I am cutting them straight on grain at 1.5". I'm using the rectangle that came off the floor, so they are oversized. Being consistent on how I put the fabrics together, I put the (red) on first, then the yellow. I used the stitching line of the red to start the stitching for the yellow. It will make more sense when I post the pictures.

I don't usually use/need starch, but I am getting quite a bit of slippage/stretch on those triangles, even sewing straight grain to it and will recommend it for this project.

Taking a break because I already made twice as many "triangle" pieces as I needed (and so need to recut the corner ones), but I should have pictures shortly and since I have Kalama's address handy, when I'm done I'll just shove it all in an envelope and send it her way. Once she sees it, we can work out further details and instructions if needed. I'm going without the pointy triangles on the blades in my practice block, but I made a couple of oversized examples for Kalama in case that's the part that really excites her. You just have to be a little more accurate with the cutting and measuring to do them.