View Single Post
Old 07-15-2020, 07:44 AM
tropit

Originally Posted by sewingpup View Post
don't really want to sound like a nerd here......but "Proof" in alcohol is actually dTheyouble that of the alcohol content. For example, 80 proof alcohol is actually 40% alcohol....so....the current recommendations for alcohol content in hand sanitizers is 60% minimum....so that would be 120 proof. Oh my. this is additional info after a quick check...found a reference that said you need to us at least 180 proof drinking alcohol to make hand sanitizer....and I also found, most liquors don't meet this requirement...The highest possible is 192 proof as the distilling process won't get any higher. I never drank "Everclear" vodka but I heard about it….and that makes the cut.
You make a good point. However, I have to say that the hand sanitizers in my area are definitely less than that. They've been adding all kinds of things to them s/a color, fragrance, water, etc. and then they're charging a fortune for them. It's a total scam, IMHO. Everclear is commonly used to make tinctures and other herbal remedies, but it's getting hard to find and is more expensive than regular vodka. I still think that vodka is still good for common cleaning and it's better than poor hand washing.

~ C