View Single Post
Old 07-18-2020, 12:08 PM
QuiltE
Power Poster

*g*a*s*p* ...... plan that far ahead?
I've always felt I didn't want to be stressed when a plan just didn't work, because "life happened"!!! Or the energy was not there to cook to the plan.

That being said, my meal planning is not on the spur of the moment.
Oft times, I will decide a few days ahead to nudge me to make something specific.

I do keep a good inventory in the frig/freezer/cupboard to shop from!
Then a running shopping list of what I need to get next shopping, whether as re-stocking, or something I am desiring. Throughout these crazy COVID-19 times, I have found most times I can go close to three weeks without shopping, other than needing more milk. Granted that will now change a bit with summer produce now being available, that I get at a roadside stand.

Most times I follow the strategy of .... "cook once, eat thrice".
Sometimes that is far more than thrice, where I make a big batch, and freeze to single meals. The bonus of that is I have good to eat quality meals awaiting, for when I want lazy meals! I even make my oatmeal with fruit and brown sugar already added, that way. Two minutes from the ice cube, and I have hot steamy porridge!

A friend used to meal plan for a month at a time!!
She kept mostly to the plan, except for example, switching Monday's supper to Wednesday.
One thing she said really worked for them, was that they would eat foods that they would probably not buy/cook, without "the" plan making her shop for them, and then cook from them! Thus, more variety in their diets.

But no, that much planning ahead for me, just is not "for me"!
Life Happens!!!

Last edited by QuiltE; 07-18-2020 at 12:12 PM.