Old 07-22-2020, 02:48 AM
illinois

Most of the WalMart stores are like this apparently and I've heard some, even in larger cities, don't even have a fabric dept any more. I was told--total rumor--that it was Mrs. Sam Walton who insisted the fabric depts would remain in the stores but, after her passing, the "boys" didn't understand the needs of women and I think we can all attest that the fabric stock changed. I noticed that blenders and the white on white/ecru on ecru were gone. I am seeing a lot of focus fabric and the quality has become more craft than what we have seen in the past. Now they've gone to the precuts. Let's face it, you can't make even lounge pants out of 1 yd cuts! Whomever is going their buying doesn't understand the needs of those of us who are sewing. We need to make some noise to managers and corporate if we want that dept to remain in the stores.
I remember our local WM when there were several aisles of nice fabrics and offerings, always with shoppers there. Now the dept is dismal and hardly ever anyone, even an associate, present. What they are offering is not what we're looking to buy.