View Single Post
Old 07-25-2020, 06:41 AM
tropit

Default Make Your Own Natural Sweetener

I like to sweeten my coffee in the morning, but regular, table sugar is not for me...too sweet and too high on the glycemic index. For a long time I was using stevia, but it was cut with all kinds of other things. then, I tried a combo of stevia and monk fruit that came packaged in little packets...all too expensive for my budget. I've finally come up with something that tastes good, is low on the glycemic index and doesn't cost a fortune. I make my own combo of stevia/monk fruit powder.

I found both ingredients online, (I think that it was on Nuts.com.) These are pure products, with no additives, or fillers. They come in resealable pouches. I'm sorry, I can't remember what they cost, but I'm sure that it was cheaper than the commercial products that I was buying in the grocery store. I just mixed them together 50/50.

The first time I tried my new blend, I put in about 1/2 teaspoon into my coffee. Blech! I had to spit it out! It was soooooo sweeeeet! I now just take a tiny pinch...like about 1/8 of a teaspoon, maybe even less. I like the taste. The combo for the stevia and monk fruit is good for me. At this rate, it will take at least 5, or 6 years to use up my pouches, so it's definitely economical. Also, these are not products that have come under criticism for being bad for you, like artificial sweeteners, and I think that they are rated zero on the GI.

I might try my blend into my jelly this year. I might also try making some Root Beer with it.

~ C