Thread: Bark Fabric
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2020, 04:50 PM
Le-Ann

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
I've worked with bark cloth. I don't know if it's the same thing that you are referring to though. I used to live in Hawaii, where it was very popular in the 40s and had a resurgence in the late 60s, early 70s. It is usually 100% cotton, medium, to slightly, heavy weight, and frequently has tropical floral prints s/a heliconia, pineapples, hydrangia, ferns, etc. It works great for pillows and light upholstery. It looks fabulous with bamboo outdoor furniture. I've never tried it for quilting. It might be too heavy for that purpose.

~ C
This sounds like it might be it. My shop owner told me that the lady the commissioned the making of the fabric here in Australia a few years ago did so specifically for patchwork. The bolts she showed me she had left were quite colourful and had quite large prints on them. It is so rough in texture, that I was wondering if anyone had worked with it for patchwork. But on this forum I see people are working with denim, so.... maybe it is worth a go? I have also been given some of my Great-Aunts crochet, which none of my children want, so maybe I could put it all together somehow.
Le-Ann