Thread: Hi from WA
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2020, 07:43 AM
CozyCraft

Default Hi from WA

Hello! I'm Marcia.
I've been sewing since I was in the 2nd grade (I'm 50 now). My first project was a tote bag in lavender (hate that color, sorry if you like it) the outside fabric was wool and the inside was probably a cotton or cotton/poly blend. Needless to say, they first time it was washed the outside shrunk like crazy. I don't know who picked the fabric, it was probably something my Mom or Grandma had on hand. From there I started sewing clothes and sewed 80% of my wardrobe through high school. I got frustrated not knowing how to tailor and fit to my body and moved to the "big city" where there were clothing stores that carried my size so I didn't need to sew as much. My first job in the city was at FabricLand where I spent all of my paycheck but never sewed anything. In my 30's my mother convinced me I should have her Pfaff and give my JCPenny machine to my grandmother. I hated the Pfaff and only made a few projects, some quilt tops and Christmas decor items. My mother used the machine more when she visited, doing my mending projects and the sewing parts of my craft projects. Thanks ..!!!

With Covid I decided I wanted to make a few masks. The Pfaff died in the middle of winding the bobbin and the sewing machine repair shop was unable to find a new electronic board for it. Mom called my uncle who had inherited the JCPenny machine from grandma and he still had it and had never used it. I picked it up, dropped it off at the repair shop and one new belt and a long soak later it runs like new. The repairman said I should get another 30 years out of it. I brought it home and muscle memory threaded the machine before I even realized what I was doing. The sound of my good fabric scissors making the first cut made me so happy! Sewing that first mask in 30 minutes was a high I haven't come down from. I have now made 4 masks and a sewing machine mat with pockets for my tools. I can't wait to have a minute to sew again.

Wow, sorry so long.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-27-2020 at 05:37 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps