View Single Post
Old 07-27-2020, 08:46 AM
Tavacoh

Originally Posted by oldtnquiltinglady View Post
Well, I have a GS here holding my hand and working me through this process. We have looked up everything we could find on a sewing machine that was given to me last weekend by my cousin at our family reunion.

According to what we find, it is a 1938 Commander and I think I read something else that might mean it is a Singer clone. But to find this information, the little tag inside the machine shows it to be a Sears (117.300) (26770).

The tension seems a little tight, but I did get it adjusted enough to make a couple of quilt squares. It is very quiet and smooth, but HEAVY doesn't even begin to describe the machine. I have to call in a man to get it moved from Point A to Point B. It is in a rounded wood carrying case, but the handle is still intact. I get worried though, every time someone picks it up, because of the weight of machine inside of it. It has a veneer finish on the outside of the cabinet, so that makes me think it is real wood, rather than make-believe type wood of so many of today's wood products.

I have the exact same sewing machine! Your post helped me identify it. Do you have any tips on how to clean and maintain it?