Thread: "Iffy" items -
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2020, 05:44 AM
Iceblossom

Fabrics that bleed more than I wish to deal with go to the fabric recycling drop off. That's where you are supposed to take nasty old pillows and things. We have "transfer stations" (trash collection sites) that have a recycling center next to them with separate bins for things like fabric and other things that can be sorted like cardboard, plastic, glass, cans. There have been fabrics that even I have given up on -- and I'm not going to pass them on to anyone else.

Old rulers I keep in the tool closet. Often need a straight edge and is nice to not have to worry about permanent marker marks. I keep broken rulers around for a long time, until I get to a project that bothers me to have that one corner bitten off or I realize I already have a better smaller ruler.

Scissors I'm pretty fussy about, I have Fiskar sharpeners I use on them, if that doesn't fix it, I write Paper or something like that with marker on the handle and stick it in the non-quilting places for my husband to use. One of my sewing ladies is going to give me a set of Ginghers that she just doesn't use or appreciate (she likes Kai), the sewing repair place I like also sharpens scissors so I'll be taking them to him when they need it.

I use my rotary blades longer than I should. I'm trying to break myself of the habit and look at it that even a $5 blade is cheap compared to mashing $100 of fabric. I buy in bulk and tell myself to replace but it's a work in progress.