Old 07-31-2020, 12:09 PM
sv aquavit

Default stitch length

Originally Posted by hcoxrn View Post
So awhile back I bought a Kenmore sewing machine made by Sears model 148-1311. I'm enclosing a picture of it since I think they made over 50 models in 1968!
So this machine is awesome at sewing every stitch except straight! The stitches are super tiny and the feed dogs aren't moving the fabric through when I sew a straight stitch. I have looked at the manual and followed every step but it still makes super tiny almost pinhole stitches. When I put the machine in reverse though it sews a straight stitch perfect! It's so weird.
So I have done all the usual stuff, changing tension, oiling it, taking it apart and cleaning all the lint. It is in incredible shape and I got it for $7, so I am not out a lot if it not fixable. I just think it would be awesome if I could get it to work because it's all metal and purrs when it's turned on.
If anyone knows what to do, I would be so grateful! I think the older machines work so much better and I am looking forward to getting this one working right!

Heather
I had tiny stitches as well. Using advice I found, I used a heat gun on low and some triflow to get decent stitch length. But on max setting -- 8 -- still seems stitches are tight. Can I sew using the basting stitch setting? That is closer to the length I want to use.