Old 03-02-2010, 08:06 AM
craftiladi

Originally Posted by Phyl
Thanks for your input. I love this quilting board but am baffled by the complaining on a grand scale. Yes, the service at different stores, JoAnn's included, leaves much to be desired at times, and I do agree, we EXPECT people who work in any store to be knowledgeable about the products they sell but take the time to understand that's NOT happening, they are all understaffed and SOME of the people are very hardworking and sweet. If more people would not be beligerent right from the start, it would help. I feel lucky to have a JoAnn's within walking distance of my apt. I have the cashier ring up the 40% coupon separately from my other purchases so there is no confusion and I am selective about what I buy. If I accommodate and understand the limitations, I no longer get upset, I smile at the clerks and even help them sometimes to do their job better. No, it's not the ideal, but IT IS WHAT IT IS. Life is too short to always be angry and I think most quilters are lovely people who bring light and sweetness to the world. I'd rather pass that on than bitterness. Quilting has brought such joy to my life and I'm not going to let ANYONE spoil that. Please, go TENDERLY through life. It;s not only better for everyone, but it is certainly better for us.
Phyl...I have to totally agree with you. Having worked retail and customer service jobs most of my life has given me the insight of the other side. Most of the time if you come across a unhappy worker it could be for several reasons, unrealistic expectations put on the workers & most of the time w/ very little training, they aren't happy w/ thier job [even though we think they should be happy to have a job these days].
I too do the same as you, ring up my coupon purchases separate etc. I have often found w/ mass stores like wal-mart, joannes etc the service has gotton very impersonal and I do my best to make their day alittle more pleasant by being understanding. Its a choice to shop at these stores.