View Single Post
Old 08-01-2020, 01:34 PM
Railroadersbrat

Default FMQ - Slider Mats

So I found out not too long ago that I can free motion embroidery and quilt on my machine. I am over the top excited about that because I have wanted to learn how to free motion quilt since I started quilting and before I got this machine, I was bummed to discover the two machines before this didn't free motion.

I've been playing around with small sandwiches, just to get the feel of changing the knobs, figuring out my tension and yesterday, I ordered a closed toe darning foot and a 8.5" x 11" slider mat. Can't wait to get my paws on them so I can really get down to learning as much as I can, but I do have one question about the mat.

I ordered the small one because I figured that since I'm just starting out learning, keep it small and work big once I get more comfortable with the movements and speed. I saw that there is a 12" x 20" and even larger slider mats and I was just wondering if that is more personal preference or is there a working reason for them. I have a small sewing cabinet that will handle the 12 x 20 fairly easily, but anything larger than that, I would have to do some serious re-arranging of things in my quilting corner.