View Single Post
Old 08-03-2020, 06:14 AM
OurWorkbench

Default August 2020 Colorado Sewing Machine Get-Together - Part 4

James

James writes:

I have not worked on or gotten any sewing related items lately so here is something I got in June a year ago.

As you can see it is a much larger version of the small Singer sewing box that was shown in the July virtual meeting. I have not really been able to find any dating information on these Singer sewing boxes with legs. The best information I was able to find is that they were made in various countries from possibly the late 1940s to possibly the early 1970s. Mine was made in the Philippines and has mahogany wood. It opens up to an amazing 66 inches long when expanded. I have included a hammer for scale.

I do not think it is one of the earlier versions since the outside corners joints are not dovetailed which were probably phased out over the years due to being more expensive to make. The wood is quite nice so my guess it is probably from the late 1950s to early 1960s. It is a very close match to the Strommen Bruk Hamar sewing boxes made in Norway so I do not know if Singer copied these or it was the other way around. Some of the Singer boxes use knobs instead of the long curved section for the box tops.

james-image1.jpg

james-image2.jpg

james-image3.jpg

james-image4.jpg

Closing

We're taking things month by month and value the contributions of the group members that we present here. We will post again next month. We hope everyone reading this will stay well and safe.