View Single Post
Old 08-03-2020, 12:45 PM
sewingpup

I have mixed feelings about this. There is a need for charity quilts out there. Some go to homeless folks who use them in their "camps" Never will be washed as these folks do not have a place to wash them usually. Our quilt group used to donate over 100-200 quilts...older ladies...some would stitch them at home and prepare backings and yep...these quilts where then tied and not quilted. materials in them are whatever folks donate. Old sheets, knits, even curtain fabric, polyester, cotton..old tablecloths .whatever. If you have seen the photos of folks in refuge camps.....in countries where people are fleeing war or famine....that is where some of these quilts ended up. And were all these quilt used on beds?...Nope...some are used as floor coverings over the dirt floors and some as wall dividers between family units. At one time there was a request not to send fancy quilts as these would be stolen before reaching the refugees. So, while I like to do my best and only use fine quilting cotton put together with skill....a quilt put together with what can be afforded and what skill can quickly complete it...is better than no quilt at times....To me the more useful question is will the quilt I just made serve the purpose for which it was made. We here in the states often use quilts as a thing of beauty not as a necessity...My grandmother lived in a one room house heated with a woodstove. I have one of her old quilts stitched together out of old coats and large stitches, dull colors...it was warm and served it's purpose. .