View Single Post
Old 08-04-2020, 05:21 AM
GingerK

The average age of our guild members is 70+. Many of our members have heath issues. But that does not stop them from wishing to help the less fortunate, by donating fabric, tops, blocks etc. How could we possibly reject any of these donations? Each top is inspected for solid seams and squareness. If there is an issue, we do not send it back to the maker for repair, we fix it ourselves. But it does involve time and effort, and we are also 'not young'. Sometimes we take shortcuts. I do not think this is 'wrong'. Nor would I take those same shortcuts on a quilt that I am making as a gift.

One of the most emotional repairs I have made, came from a BOM project donated by a long-time member. I could see how the quality of cutting and sewing in the blocks deteriorated as I went thru them. It turns out, the member was slowly losing her eyesight over the year that these blocks encompassed. Thank goodness the member had also donated the extra fabric from the project. Each block was examined, taken apart and resewn as necessary, and in a couple of cases, completely redone. In this case, the committee decided to finish the quilt and give it back to the maker, so that she could in turn, gift it to her youngest granddaughter. She was not told about the extensive repair work. It was the last quilt she ever made and I was honoured to have helped.