View Single Post
Old 08-04-2020, 06:25 AM
Iceblossom

I have a variety of readers in a variety of strengths. I have vision issues and so I have specialty corrective contacts in for my "daily life". With them in I have pretty good/normal vision for about 3 feet around me, but by the time we get to 6 feet or so, things are getting blurrier so I have driving/distance glasses. There is still a tough area around me, which happens to be that 6 feet of personal space, or if I'm sitting across a table from someone where it is blurry without and blurry with the glasses.

With my ever changing vision, some years the readers don't help me much -- they just make blurry things bigger and not clearer. This year they are helping quite a bit. I just finished some hand work and think it would have taken me at least twice the time without visual aides.

I believe in the "have lots of them everywhere" so have a box that I keep most of them, plus one or two pairs (different strengths) in my sewing kit, at my computer station (where I don't actually use them on the computer), and at my bedside table.

Dollar store can be fine, actually try the pair you want for quality control, make sure all the parts work (lenses in tightly, that the hinges work, nose-pieces if not molded into the plastic are there. I do like the multi-packs at Costco.

edit: Bright light also makes a difference, I do my handwork under my floor stand Ott light or outside on the porch. Most of my problems are in the front of the eye, the cornea and shape buty Doc says some of that is macular degeneration and that I'll probably have cataract removal done in the next 2-3 years (I'll be 60 this year). He's trying to give me as much vision as possible for as long as possible. I'm not worried about the cataract surgery, cornea transplant concept bothers me a lot more.

Last edited by Iceblossom; 08-04-2020 at 06:28 AM.