View Single Post
Old 08-04-2020, 06:57 AM
Iceblossom

My friend is a Bernina fan. I forget what she had before but she gave me her modern 820 "sewing computer" she never really liked and got the 770 instead and just loves it.

The 820 didn't go over well, many of them seem to have a number of issues. My friend's was not one of the lemons but she just never clicked with it, she did use it for several years before passing it down. I love it. I decided to learn all the new features and not just treat it like my old vintage machine and had to retrain myself. It did need a repair/cleaning recently, had a new thread sensor put in and it has been doing great since then.

I love the thread cutter, I see stories of other cutters that leave thread lengths or cut too short and stitches come undone, but I feel it is just right. I love the self threader. The bright light bar. The BSR (Bernina Stitch Regulator) plus the built in walking foot feature. That huge throat space. I use the knee bar for foot up/down but my friend never used that feature. I didn't see it on the features list, but the 820 let's me end with needle down by a tap on my foot pedal, I like that quite a lot too. While there are buttons, I don't see well enough to read them easily, I use my knee and foot and know which button is cut thread.

Downside -- I believe the 770 like the 820 has a specific proprietary bobbin, it is extra large but you cannot buy prewound bobbin thread. The bobbins are quick and easy to wind, They are (comparatively) expensive, don't know how many the machine comes with but I would want at least 10.

She also chose the non-embroidery option because she has a different brand of machines she uses for embroidery for a particular designer's designs.