Thread: Keto help
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2020, 03:42 PM
UncaToddly

Default Great Job for the Hubby

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
UncaToddly you are definitely wordy and that's okay because you gave a lot of really good information. My DH went keto 20 months ago for health reasons. His Dr. was not fully on board and monitored his progress very carefully for the first year. DH is type 2 diabetic and his diabetes is now diet controlled. He no longer takes Metformin or Januvia. He has lost 45 pounds and kept them off for a year. His Dr. is amazed at how his body and metabolism has changed.

DH also bakes for himself and makes his own greek style yoghurt using Half and Half (and it is wonderful!!) I refused to 'control' his diet and left the research/decisions to him. I think this was the most important contribution I made to his success.

Edited to add: "Lies my Doctor Told Me" by Ken D. Berry MD is a great book that everyone should read. Just because my doctor said it does not mean that it is right, or true or the best thing for me. Knowledge is the best medicine.
The thing is, his results are not unusual, they are the norm. When you stop putting carbs into the system (again, that biologically are not required) you don't need to deal with them by producing more insulin or giving shots of it to get the glucose out of the blood. It is so common sense it is mind blowing. When you are diabetic and having to give yourself insulin after what you eat, they teach you and you learn that if you eat this piece of chocolate cake or a couple slices of pizza or this sandwich from Subway, you need to give yourself X number of units of insulin to deal with the carbs in it. Well, what if you just don't eat the things that require you to compensate with insulin? Or at least severely reduce them. You reduce the need right?

It is much like having a cabin in the woods in the winter and you keep throwing wood on the fire. The house gets hotter and hotter so you open a window. You throw more wood on the fire but it is still too hot so you open another window. Then that isn't enough so you open the door and turn the fans on too to help pull the cold air in because it is so hot. The solution isn't to keep opening the windows and doors and adding fans..... maybe you stop putting wood on the fire. Or put less.

And I love Dr. Berry. I am well familiar with his work and his book from podcasts I listen to him on such as Diet Doctor, Low Carb MD, 2 Keto Dudes and many others. I listen to audiobooks and this is likely one I am going to have to buy as I am not expecting it to magically appear as available in my local library.

Congrats to your husband and his success.