View Single Post
Old 08-04-2020, 07:01 PM
gillyo

I don't make bed sized quilts anymore but I do remember trying to baste one on my living room floor because I didn't have a pingpong table, (or even a dining table), at the time. I learned a lot in those days when there weren't a lot of gadgets, you could get a decent machine for under $100, there was no such thing as "quilting fabric," and no quilting videos to show you how you're doing everything wrong.

I watch the quilting shows on tv from time to time. It's obvious they're pushing products but I don't begrudge them the opportunity to make some cash. What I do worry about is newbies getting turned off of quilting because of the cost, and the perception some might get that you have to have all that expensive stuff to get started. I've had a lot of people ask me how to quilt and I make them a little kit and teach them how to hand piece. It's a great way to get started at very little cost. That's how my grandmother got me started. A box of scraps, a few cardboard templates, and a needle and thread.