View Single Post
Old 08-05-2020, 06:01 AM
sewingpup

yep...my requirements for a charity quilt are that it is made of fabric that will stand up to washing, that it is pieced so it lays flat, that it is securely stitched, quilted and bond so it stays together, and that I have washed after completing it before it is given away. I also use quality batting in it either a decent poly or 80/20. I don't use the bargin batting as that usually does not hold up very well. And I don't use "old" thread or cheap thread that does not have the strength to stay together. I will use older fabric that has been stored properly, not in plastic nor in the damp basement. I store all my fabric on shelves on the first floor or in the attic where it stays dry. I do keep my fabric out of the sun. I like doing turning 20's or nine patches, or yellow brick road, or rail fences for donation quilts and I will make then scrappy and also I will make string quilts...but that fabric that goes into them is the same quality as the quilts I give to my friends and family. The exception to this is the quilts I help make for the church group as we use what is given. Actually, out of my own stash, I don't make and give away that many quilts to folks I actually do not know as it seems I have an endless number of folks I know that are happy to get a quilt I have made. Same goes with masks at this point. I think I could give away hundreds. Now that we are under a masking order at anytime we are in a public place or common place even in apartment halls, folks are wanting more fabric masks ….just had a request from a friend for 5 more and I have already given her 3....which is the number I have given to most of family and friends....my stash is starting to go down! Maybe I will use it all up....