Thread: Keto help
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2020, 06:27 AM
aashley333

Hubby and I have been low carb over a year. We've lost weight, lessened medicine requirements, and feel better/healthier/more energetic.

One thing that has helped is meal planning. I found that I feel better when I start the day with breakfast. (It doesn't have to be a "Cowboy's" breakfast) If I'm in a hurry, a hard fried or boiled egg will do.
If I don't plan lunch, it's a fiasco. Nothing is thawed and ready to cook, so, I've learned to defrost lunch and dinner while coffee is brewing. Lunch is usually a protein and a vegetable, and dinner has protein and 2 veggies.

At the beginning, the crock pot was my friend. I'd put in 2 chicken thighs for each of us(4 total), and add 1/2 can of cream of mushroom soup. 1/2 can doesn't have that many carbs, plus we only consume a small portion of the "gravy" that it creates.
Now cream of asparagus is my fav. I get crazy with all the choices available.
I have found a short cut for this method from watching the cooking shows. In my cast iron skillet, I brown the thighs, 3 minutes on each side, then add the whole can of soup (saving half was a pain) and stick it in 350 oven for 20 minutes.

Another thing that helps from eating "the same boring stuff over and over" is to change up the way I cut the vegetables. Slice them differently!

To help keep us on the straight and narrow, we sometimes choose something for the weekend that isn't "legal". That way, if I get a craving for pizza or French fries, we'll decide to include that for our cheat meal. Yesterday, we had fresh fried flounder and fresh cut fries.... nothing too crazy, but it helps.