Old 03-02-2010, 09:25 AM
Bev

Originally Posted by amma
I am so sorry to hear about our problems with JoAnn's...the service/knowledge seems to vary so much from store to store...
I'm sorry too, for all of you who are having a hard time at Joann's. My experiences have almost always been good ones. I go to a Joann's five mns. from my home. I just about never buy fabric there because I want my quilts to last a long time. But I DO use their coupons on anything I buy. In fact I don't go without coupons in my hand. Here's the thing with their 40% and 50% off coupons. They are for one REGULAR priced item only! But that can cover a lot of items. I always wait until the item I need or want is NOT on sale. Usually the coupons give you more off than the sale does anyhow. I also have a 10% off from AQS to which I belong. That gives me 10% off of the total purchase, sales included. My DH says to work or shop at Joann's you have to have, at the very least, minored in math.
The help there are great. Several older women are sewers, and one is also a quiltmaker. They're very good with their cutting skills and their advice. Now, I can't say the same for my daughter's Joann's near Columbus, Ohio. They're always packed with customers, which is good for them, but not for us. They line you up like cattle at the registers, and the staff always consists of younger people, maybe students, who are very unhelpful. I would not go there frequently if I lived there. As it is, I only shop there when I have run out of thread or a needle breaks while I'm sewing at my daughter's house. I guess my point is ... they're all different. Small towns have nicer people on staff. And the tools and books are as good as anyplace else you go. With a 50% off coupon what's not to like?