Old 08-10-2020, 12:44 PM
JoeJr

Barn find update. I posted a picture of this machine a few weeks ago. The inside of the machine was worse than the outside, I won't say what I sprayed all over the inside to make some of the dirt and dried crud go away. It's a sad commentary on my observational abilities that it was on the workbench at least 3 days before I even noticed that the thread take up arm was broken off... The fix: a cotter pin wired to what was left of the arm and then covered with JB Weld, which I then had to sand down so it could move inside the cover. The existing part is actually riveted to the next part inside, plus I figured there is not a replacement arm anywhere in the world. The needle position adjustment lever was bent such that the needle floated around when cycling the machine, fortunately I was able to get it out and bent back. The thread tension release lever which operates off the presser foot lift lever was bent inside also; I could see how the needle position lever could be bent, but not this.

..it sews stitches, including zig zag. I'm not quite sure how to operate the pattern selector, there's a "shift" indicator on the right end of the stitch width adjuster, I tried it a little bit and it appeared that it was making the indicated pattern, but it takes a lot of thread which I didn't have.

The sticker says "McGuire Automatic" but there are two screws on the front holding nothing, which I assume held the original badge which McGuire removed.

Now that I know it sews I will have to clean it up some more and get it in a case or a table.
Attached Thumbnails img_20200717_092426409.jpg   img_20200810_145927252.jpg   img_20200810_151220299.jpg   inkedimg_20200810_131344150_li.jpg  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-10-2020 at 04:55 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps