View Single Post
Old 08-11-2020, 08:58 AM
Buffal0gal

Default Upper Peninsula of MI checking in!

Hello folks!
I found this forum and posted a newbie question in Main, but the story of how I started quilting this summer was too good to not repeat here.

My *first* quilt is a queen-size Sunbonnet Sue.

My mom ambushed me with this project.

I recently went home for a week to give my parents a little company during COVID-19 quarantine. My mom pulls out ..of baby clothes she saved from my sister and me. She's been schlepping these around for 50+ years (awesome 70s prints!) with the intent of making quilts with them for each of us daughters.

She has Sunbonnet Sue quilt that my paternal grandmother made for my dad. My grandmother died before I was born, and we don't have many heirlooms from that side of the family, so the quilt is a real treasure

My dear sister doesn't have a crafty bone in her otherwise very talented body, so this project fell to the two of us. My mom and I photographed all the washed and ironed baby dresses for posterity before cutting them up (that was ..).

We spent several days choosing which fabrics went together and what accessorief the girls will have. One is fishing, since my dad took us a lot. One has a little yellow dog to commorate Lemon, our beloved and long-lived mutt. There's a frog. And balloons. And rosette flowers. We had a ...

I'm home now and have finished appliquéing the girls onto squares and have started sewing the sashing (?) and plain calico blocks together to make the first of 2 queen-sized checkerboard quilts.

I'm a knitter and do other crafty things, but I haven't seriously sewed in decades. I've been watching YouTube tutorials like crazy and even installed Pinterest back on my phone to gather FMQ pattern ideas.

I bought a free-motion presser foot and a walking foot for an exorbitant amount on eBay since my Viking 1100 (late 1970's) machine has been abandoned by Husqvarna. I spent more on these two presser feet than the dang machine is worth in trade-in. But I love this machine.

I've spent hundreds of dollars on sewing supplies and built a table topper to make a faux drop-in desk with a big-ass platform for quilting (40"x30")

My neglected home-improvement projects are languishing and my dear husband is getting frustrated at waiting on me to organize the basement, but I am obsessed! I've just got to practice a ton to gain some muscle memory and control over free-motion stitching so I don't ruin my quilt.

When I'm done with mine, I'll decide if I've had enough before I offer to quilt my sister's SBS.

I feel honored to be among such creative artists!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-11-2020 at 02:21 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps