Thread: backwards
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2020, 10:48 AM
leaha

Smile backwards

As I learned how to do most things on my own I do things backwards to what most of you do. Like cutting my strips of fabric. I fold and place the fabric to my left place ruler on it and use the lines on my mat to cut just move ruler to the left again and cut. It works for me.
The other thing I do backwards is freezer paper applique. Let me tell how I do it. First cut freezer paper to the size and shape you want finished appliqued piece to be. Then cut fabric 1/4 inch larger all around. Put fabric right side down (on ironing board) place freezer paper shinny side UP on it. do points first and fold over the 1/4 inch and press with dry iron. do all around the Piece.( if you get a glitch, or pucker lift up and repress so nice and smooth) Next is your choice you can then press in place and sew it down, start at point and go around till you get to about one inch from starting point, I use a old finger nail cuticle pusher and loosen the freezer paper and remove it, if careful you can use it again. and sew last inch.
the second way I do it is to remove the freezer paper and use small snips of fusible thread in fold over 1/4 inch. be careful it is tucked in good so you do not get on iron, and press, then you can place on what you are going to sew it to and use a bit of fusible thread to "pin" in place, no pins, starch or glue, nothing wet. I have been doing this for 20 or more years, and have done over 800 hearts and 13 large sunbonnet sues. (18 inches high) with no problems.
sorry so long but hope this might be of use to some one, who might be backwards too LOL