View Single Post
Old 08-18-2020, 08:54 AM
CaleyH

Hello All, I've been busy creating thirty five 12 inch Trailing Star blocks. The picture shows my crazy set of blocks in various colour schemes. The reason for such a variety of colours and combinations is due to my limited fabric supply.

While making these, my sewing machine continued to act strangely, locking up about every bobbin of thread. I would cleaning things up and oil that area, and kept changing the needle, but still had the same problem. The last time it happened I looked at things with a magnifying glass. I saw that the spool thread coming down to the needle showed that thread wrapped around the needle. I waited for this to happen again, and like clockwork I found the thread wrapped around the needle. So it wasn't a dirty or machine,or lack of oil, or a dull needle. It's just that the thread somehow gets wrapped once around the needle. This is frustrating, but easily fixed, now that I know what is happening.

Not sure this is something I can fix. It seems that the thread, when just starting on a piece of material bunches up about an inch or so, then things work fine. But occasionally that thread somehow wraps around the needle. I am wondering if it is a tension problem. My stitches are just fine after that initial bunching of the thread at the start of sewing a new piece of fabric.

Regardless, the experience has been enjoyable. I love creating things, even if what I create does not always match traditional color schemes.
Attached Thumbnails 35-blocks-2.jpg