View Single Post
Old 08-18-2020, 09:07 AM
tropit

Originally Posted by aashley333 View Post
Kaleidoscope is my absolute favorite quilt to make. I designed my own pattern from seeing a picture on a magazine cover.
https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...8-blue-kq2.jpg
Rust Kaleidoscope Quilt

I don't know where to start with tips. I've been making them for years.

I guess I'll start with fabric selection. It is the most important. The images have to be the right size. Too big will cause you to lose the effect. Too small causes too busy. I make an eight pieced circle kaleidoscope block as shown in 2nd link above. I form a "triangle" with my hands to visualize! At first, I uses several different pieces of fabric for one quilt, but I found that I prefer quilts that use one fabric selection for all 20 blocks. I buy 4 yards of whatever I think will be used for a kaleidoscope quilt.
I don't understand "stack and whack". I cut each "slice" individually. I think it's called "fussy cut". I use two clear plastic templates: one for the "pie" and one for the "crust". Hint: Retired teacher-I use Xerox sheets for overhead transparencies.
I position the pie piece on the fabric, I pay attention to the tip (past the SA) It makes a more interesting block if the pattern is angled across the point rather than straight across. After I trace around the template with a permanent marker, I trace part of the fabric pattern with a thin permanent marker on the template to help position it for the next 7 pieces. Top, middle, and bottom areas- doesn't need to be too detailed at all.
When I have all 8 pie pieces, I pin them together and clean my template with rubbing alcohol to find next block pattern.
Each block needs 8 crust pieces for which I have developed a system. I chose 7 shades of a background color and cut a stack of outside "crust" pieces from each.( Each block will have 1 color repeated). Keeping in mind that 4 pieces mirror the other 4 pieces-make sure they fit correctly to form the circle's frame.

Sewing curves:
  • I clip on the crust side- once in the middle and then 2 more.
  • I fold my pie piece to find middle to line it up with middle clip in the crust piece and pin.
  • Then I pin each outer edge
  • Then I ease the rest into place and pin.
  • When I stitch, the piece isn't flat, but more curved up and lifted and fed into the machine slowly-practice helps find your groove.
I'd be happy to share my pattern and templates if interested.
Good luck with your project and look forward to pictures.
OMG...those quilts are just beautiful! I love them. Thank you for all of your input and instructions. I have templates already, so I'm good there.

~ C