Old 03-02-2010, 10:53 AM
sunkistmi

I know there are those who will not use anything but quilt shop fabric but I have used fabric from other sources that I have just loved and the quilt has turned out beautiful. If I find a fabric that I "just can't live without", as long as it feels and looks good; i.e., not thin, 'drapy', can't see my fingers through it, I will buy it from wherever I can get it. I suppose if I were entering a big quilt contest I would be more concerned that I use "correct" fabric, but if it is just for me or for my family, I get what I like and what I think they will like. I know that the person that receives the quilt won't care if the fabric came from Wal-Mart or the most expensive shop, I made it with love. I do make sure the fabrics won't run if using dark colors but I do that with LQS fabric too. Please don't get me wrong, I buy LOTS of fabric from LQS (I LOVE my LQS) but I don't limit purchases just to them if I like something from somewhere else. I can only think of one time that I regretted using a particular fabric, and it was when I 'second-guessed' myself and used something that I had previously decided not to use. Learned a lesson. Even though you are new, use what you like and trust your judgement. You will be fine and I'm sure we will see pictures on the site of your beautiful creations. Best of luck and happy quilting.
Wendy B