Old 08-25-2020, 08:33 AM
Stitchnripper
Power Poster

Originally Posted by CaleyH View Post
Liking Quilting, Thanks for the welcome, and the suggestion on thread colours.

Stitchnripper, Oh I won't give up. I just need to figure out something I can practise on. I don't want to practise on my hard work blocks. Any suggestions on what I can use for a substitute to practise on?

I went to LeahDay.com to see what I could. Good website, with good information. I like that quilting frame, but don't know if you can use it tor piecing also. I guess you need a dedicated machine for piecing and then that frame and another machine for the free motion quilting. Maybe in a couple of years when I pay down some debt, and rid myself of a lot of accumulated stuff to free up some space, that might be something to get.
Just about any functional machine can be used for piecing. Even a dinky mechanical Brother. Or a vintage machine if one comes across one. You can’t use the frame for piecing.

you can use scrap pieces of fabric and batting to practice on. They don’t have to be quilt size. Leah day does some on very small squares. Some people use felt squares. You can even practice on paper with an old needle and no thread. There are many options.