View Single Post
Old 08-26-2020, 06:44 AM
bearisgray
Power Poster

There are books available that tell about "grading" for different sizes. Also, for drafting patterns.

The finishes look great on what you made.

What makes drafting a pattern interesting/challenging - as Ice Blossom said - that for a given dimension - say chest measurement - the measurements and shape above and below it can vary drastically.

Raglan sleeve or kimono sleeve styles are quite forgiving for fit.

Maybe get some of the paper ones and compare the different sizes - that might give you an idea of the differences between them.

Another thing - how "covered" does the person want to be? A person with a 60 inch hip/buttocks/abdomen measurement will need a much larger size than a person with only a 36 inch hip. Also - most people that have gotten "overweight" - their shoulders stay comparatively close to the same size as they were when they were "normal weight".

I get so aggravated when - just because my mid section has gotten x number of inches bigger over the years - my shoulders and sleeve length have not increased the same amount! So, for example when I was a size 12 or 14 - the shoulders and sleeves were about right. Now that I need a 3x - the shoulder seam extends about two inches down my arm and the sleeves go several inches below my fingertips!

Are you planning on making custom-sized gear? If so, it might be helpful to take the person's measurements - and if they have a "unique build" - if you have some old sheets, you could do some draping on them to get an idea of how to adapt/modify your basic style for them to get a comfortable fit.

Are these worn all-day? or changed frequently? You could also just look at hospital gowns and see if they would be adequate. Some are designed to overlap on the back - some even have shoulder snaps/velcro for easy access to various parts of the body,

Last edited by bearisgray; 08-26-2020 at 06:51 AM.