Thread: Need Help
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2020, 05:08 AM
bkay

I'm sorry for your loss. I lost my spouse of 29 years this spring. I decided that I didn't want to deal with a lot of the stuff, so I boxed it up and donated a bunch of it to the Salvation army. I sold some stuff. I gave away things that friends would use. I'm still waiting for his children to come collect the family stuff. There are still things to deal with. I finally decided it doesn't have to happen immediately.

Some suggestions:

Fabric and started quilts - consider Project LInus, which provides quilts/blankets to children picked up by Child Protective services. Many of these children have nothing, as they are rescued with just the clothes on their backs. A quilt of their own could be very important.

Sewing machines - They are really expensive to pack and ship. The machines you mention are very desirable. Consider posting on a local venue, such as OfferUp or Craigslist. If you are particularly inclined to the added work and expense, you would probably get more for them on Ebay. For an estimate of what they are worth, look on Ebay for your model numbers and compare the condition of your machine to the ones offered. Be aware that only the auction results are what people actually paid. The results from "best offer" are not the actual amount paid, so those numbers are irrelevant. You already have a suggestion for the long arm.

"Assorted Stuff" like rulers, cutters, mats: Those could be donated to a quilt guild or to other groups as suggested above. Another option would be to sell them on groups.io. Groups.io (most used to be on yahoo groups, which significantly cut their services last year, so many migrated to goups.io) a list of different groups that have something in common and form a mailing list type group. I'm the member of a group that sells sewing items (I've neither bought or sold anything at this point.) as well as some other groups related to sewing and sewing machines. This particular group is called sewitsforsale. It's not a commercial venture. It's for people selling their own products and there is no charge to post or to sell, but there are very specific rules to follow in your posts. You have to join groups.io and then join the individual group that interests you. On sewitsforsale, I've seen fabric posted, sewing machines, machine accessories, videos, patterns, books and most anything related to sewing. It seems to work very well and it seems that most things sell.

Good luck. It's a whole new world of being alone. The Corona virus has made it a little more difficult. I'm sure glad I have my dogs.

bkay

Last edited by bkay; 08-27-2020 at 05:11 AM. Reason: clarify thought