Old 08-28-2020, 11:48 AM
Iceblossom

The 50s were sort of a quiet period of quilting, more based on the stronger dateable 30s and changing needs. A lot of the way things were "updated" was by making blocks larger. Poly blend fabrics were praised for their shine, bright colors and lack of ironing required. Things started waking up in the 60s with more bright bold prints and colors, leading into the 70s and the daisy invasion, and up to the start of art quilts and rotary cutting.

My house isn't quite mid-century modern, it's the mass produced basic Seattle area ranch house. House is younger than I am! House was built in 1963, and while maintained is still mostly in original condition like no paint on the kitchen cupboards but vinyl replaced once or twice.

For me, I would go for "atomic age prints" combined with modern styles and techniques of connecting long rectangles and grids and such. There are the distinctive aqua and pink and chocolate brown with turquoise and exploding objects as well as rectangles and lines. I would keep a lighter palette, more in the oatmeal and sky blue but with maybe a darker repeated color. Guess it boils down to I would try more for a feeling than an historic piece.