View Single Post
Old 08-29-2020, 06:00 AM
sewingpup

Originally Posted by Sewgood View Post
I use whichever gives me the look I want. No problems.
I seldom use bias bindings....only when there is a reason too...like scalloped edges, rounded corners. I generally cut width of fabric but if the backing fabric is also going to be used as binding, I will wait until I have quilted my quilt and trimmed off the extra backing because often then, I will have enough fabric from the trimmings to make my binding. And yes....I sometimes end up with both WOF and LOF binding from those trimmings but I try and use just the LOF if I have enough of it. I always use double fold binding so mostly cut my strips 2.5 inches. I live in northern Minnesota so yep....most of my quilts have batting in them. I am not very good at hand stitching anything except maybe cross stitch ...so I generally finish my bindings off by using a serpentine stitch on the binding and over the years I have gotten fairly accurate with that so seldom have the stitches showing on the backing. I match my thread with the binding. I have learned to be careful in the mitered corners to keep everything lined up as that was where I mostly was getting stitches showing when I turned the corners.