View Single Post
Old 08-30-2020, 06:38 AM
Iceblossom

Just want to say that most places are pretty depleted in stock right now and especially for sale goods -- I've watched my regular sites go almost empty compared to a year ago. A lot of people were at home buying fabric. Not a lot of fabric was coming in, nor was there staff to deal with what was, nor was it known what precautions those that were dealing with the fabric needed/or whether businesses were "essential".

I have a large stash accumulated over decades. I stopped buying "new" fabric for the most part a number of years ago, and now I check out my local thrift stores on a regular basis to see what might interest me. They were shut down since March in my area and just opened up again a month ago. It's part of the hubby and my date day is we check out a couple of thrift stores, we have specific things we look for. Anyway, for the first time since about February, I lucked into some fabric, a nice 4-yard or so of a soft brushy peach tone suitable for a back for $3.99, another 4-yard good for a back (blue with quarter sized yellow floral medallions) for another $3.99, and a 3 yard piece of patriotic Debbie Mumm that I'll be passing on for a children's/potenital quilt of valor back for $2.99, plus a bunch of other non fabric, for about $25.

On the other hand, I ordered my first new, not-on-sale fabric, two different (1) yard cuts for about the same price and I don't know when it's going to get here --- but I know it is exactly what I want (or at least I hope)

Fabric is expensive, but for years it was my only vice and now it is a thrift store hobby pursuit, gives me something to do. I didn't spend my money on other things, but if a fabric made me laugh or just made me want to touch it, it was worth yard... It's nice for me to have the luxury of "too much" even if I have to work for ideas on how to use it.