Old 08-31-2020, 03:48 PM
Iceblossom

It looks like a sit down machine that has been well taken care of. Can't see in the picture if it can be used with a frame or not. What is your big worry/concern with it? You might search out some of our threads on the decision on whether or not you want a long arm, which can depend on a lot of things.

So one of the first questions I'd ask myself is how many quilts per year would you quilt down? I have a backlog of 20+ tops and like to piece about a top per month and I would certainly use a long arm on a regular basis that dust wouldn't settle on it. If I only did one a year, I probably wouldn't be so envious.

Even if it requires a cleaning and some effort to get, I'd sure get it. Biggest downside is probably space, I'd probably have to get rid of my dining room table to fit it in my small house but it's mostly a cutting table now anyway. I really prefer to move along with the quilt in a standing type long arm set up, but even if I moved out my dining room table I still wouldn't have enough room for 12' rails.

Any normal sewing repair person should be able to do what is required if you have issues.

I live in Washington state, about 2 years ago now my friend in Arizona gifted me with a modern Bernina 830, not quite as deep a throat and no table but it was certainly worth the $200 or so it took to ship it back home. We also had to buy a box from the Bernina dealer with all the correct foam inserts and such as well. It was still worth the $200 repair and cleaning I had done.