Thread: Clover clips
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2020, 07:17 AM
Trudii

I started with the little red 'name brand' clips and have stuck with them, have not bought the off brand because I did read reviews of people having issues with them breaking. None of the red ones have broken for me, and I have stepped on a few (without shoes, which hurts a great deal) and they were none the worse for it. I use them primarily for binding. Just keep a big jar or something to hold them as you take them off. Also use them to hold individual blocks or sets of blocks together to keep my pattern in order. I use them when sewing all sorts of things, not just quilts, sometimes use them to keep fabric lined up or as a placeholder when I'm measuring multiple yards and need to move the ruler.

I had some low dollar eBay coupons / eBay bucks over the years and bought the jumbo purple off-brand clips. Those are nice also, hold well but they really do need more bulk to be effective. I wouldn't spend money to get the official ones because I just don't use them enough, I still go for the medium sized red ones first.

The medium sized ones make the most wonderful clicking noise on the hardwood floor, so most that touch the floor are re-appropriated by my furry overlords. I moved an old steamer trunk and found no less than 10 of them, I cannot imagine how many are under beds and dressers that I will only find if I ever move.

As for price, the regular retail for the official clips is ridiculous ($65 / 100). And buying anything less than 100 at a time you're paying an extra premium on top of that. I have bought more than 1 set, and have been super patient for one of those magical times when Joann has quilting notions on sale and a % off coupon that can stack. Still more than the generics price, of course, but I'm OK with that as they have held up well.