View Single Post
Old 09-05-2020, 09:59 AM
SewEnchanted

Smile Longarm recommendations?

Hello,
I am a quilter and general sewist considering the creation of a home-based longarm quilting business. I have sewn since I was a child, and have quilted since the early 2000s. Right now my sewing practice is made up of garment, home dec, pet and quilting projects. So I feel that I know my way around a home machine pretty well. But I don’t really know much about longarms.
I have rented a Gammill at one of our LQS, and I did really enjoy using it so much so that I am now starting the process of researching what kind of machine setup would work best for me. I have many questions, but I will start with one in particular: computerization. Since I am interested in starting a business with this machine, how “essential” to the bottom line is it to have a computerized setup? Right now for myself I am more interested in doing free-motion work, but I can see how having a computerized machine could be very valuable in working on customer quilts. For those of you with experience, I’d love to hear your thoughts.
And also, I’d like to know what brands you all are liking and why. Another huge topic.
Thanks everyone in advance. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and experiences.