View Single Post
Old 09-05-2020, 04:02 PM
mkc

Automation generally adds about $10K USD to the cost of the setup. Plus it does require the user to learn to operate it. You may want to factor in the cost if you are looking at doing this to have the setup pay for itself.

Also research what services already exist in your area - you may find more longarmers than work (or vice versa).

And do some serious soul-searching as to whether you would be comfortable quilting for someone else, on their schedule.

The longarm companies love to show you how "quickly" your quilting will pay for itself, but in reality, is there that stream of unquilted tops and potential clients to make it a viable business in your location, and do you want to deal with customers?

Also understand that if you use a longarm for business, you homeowner's insurance won't cover it.

As to brands, which is better - GM, Ford, Mercedes, Tesla? Longarms are like cars - highly person-dependent as to what is good, what fits the budget, what is comfortable. And just like cars, never buy without test driving first to make sure it fits you and your needs. And by fit, check ergonomics and vibration. I cannot stand an Innova for more than a few minutes (although on paper I love the brand) because every one I have tried at a dealer translates a lot of vibration into my hands and wrists and causes pain in my joints.

Last edited by mkc; 09-05-2020 at 04:04 PM.