View Single Post
Old 09-08-2020, 02:49 PM
tropit

I use a large, farm/dining table to lay out my quilt. This table is old and really, nothing can hurt it.

-I usually lay out the backing first and arrange it so that the seams are centered and clip it to the side of the table with wonder clips.

-I like to mark the side-centers of each layer with either pins, or a Crayola washable marker and I make sure that there is at least a few inches overhanging on each side of the batting and backing fabric.

-I always make sure that each fabric layer is nice and tight and smooth on the table, before I spray and add the next layer.

-Personally, I prefer spray basting, because it's fast, easy to reposition the fabric, completely washes out my quilt and is easy to get off of the table afterwards.

- When the center area of the layer is set to go, I just unclip it, scooch the unfinished area over to the table top, reclip it and let the remainder rest on some chairs. I roll the layers back until I get to the sticky part that I've previously done and start spraying. When that part is done I scooch it back to the other side and work on that section.

-I usually give the top layer a quick pressing while on the table too, just to make sure that it's nice and smooth, that the seams are straight and are at right angles to each other. I like to use my two, longest rulers, butted against each other to check for straight, squared seams. Once that's all done, it's off to the sewing machine. I hope that I've been clear. If not, just post and I'll reply again.

Happy quilting!