View Single Post
Old 09-10-2020, 08:53 AM
platyhiker

Question for quiltlady1941: Do you want help with sewing the blocks together (and not losing points)? Or help with piecing the blocks so that they always have at least 1/4" by the tips? Or both?

I will give you some tips that may help with sewing together blocks with variable amounts of fabric by the tips. First, check to see if you have enough fabric by the tips to allow for enough fabric to make what you consider to be a durable seam. If not, then you have to choose between losing tips, or redoing the blocks to get more fabric by the tips. Assuming that you do have enough fabric by tips to work with, you want to make sure you sew at exactly the right spot. I suggest using a washable fabric pen or pencil (be sure to test it with your exact fabric!) to mark the sewing line from the back. Use a pin from the front to test whether you have right spot marked. Because of the width of folding over the fabric, I find it best to sew 1 or 2 threads (in the fabric) over from the exact tip. If you are matching up tips with *both* of the blocks that you are sewing together, put a pin through both of those tips, checking it from all four sides, and leave it vertical though the fabric. Then pin the fabric on either side of the vertical pin. (You can then remove the vertical pin.)

For avoiding the problem of not having enough fabric by the tips, one thing to be aware of is that it is common for sewing machines to want to veer off to one side near the end of a seam. (This is often caused by the feed dogs being designed for seam allowances wider than 1/4" - 5/8" seams are the norm in garment sewing with commercial patterns.) Take a look at your seams and see if this happening to you. For me, I find that a walking foot greatly helps with this issue. Other ways to help with the problem are to use scrap piece of fabric as an "ender" butted up the pieces you are sewing, or to use a stilletto to help guide the fabric through sewing the last bit of the seam.