Old 09-11-2020, 03:35 PM
Jay401

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
I think that you'll enjoy using that machine once it's fixed up. I love all of the Singer 400s and have sewn on a 403A most of my life. There are some sticky messages about cleaning old machines that you should read. One thing that I remember from this board is that sewing machine oil is great for cleaning and you can't harm a machine by using it. There's lots more tips, especially from "Skip." Have fun!
Thank you so much. This place is an amazing source of information.
A lot of people love these machines it seems.
Hopefully in a couple of weeks it will be running smoothly and I'll be sewing my fingers together.

Originally Posted by Mickey2 View Post
How are you doing?
[...]
This is one of the best tutorials on the 401, and there are a couple of very good threads on this forum too.
Thank you for asking Mickey. I'm doing well. How are you?
That link is so useful, thank you so much.

I don't know tri flow I only have generic sewing machine oil (I use it at work and the bottles are recent). I might get the tri flow if I can find it. But do you think the generic one okay for cleaning at least and first oilings?

It's really dirty but I'm hoping it will be easy to clean and the outside will look as good as the inside. My grandpa was a machinist so I'm sure the machine was well oiled and cleaned while he was alive.