View Single Post
Old 03-02-2010, 03:14 PM
Katia

I got the fabric on Ebay and just loved the colors for my soon to be born grand daughter. I also got it in blues. The set included 6 half yard cuts, so plenty for a baby quilt. In fact I have enough to make another baby quilt from the pink. And the blue quilt I will make bigger.

I have never done this before so I just kinda winged it. I laid out the 5" squares on my cutting table to come up with a simple design. The backing is a pink stripe, which I wanted to alternate. I know, kinda silly for a first try. I got a lot of exercise hopping up and down and checking to make sure things were going together right. I left the whole thing on the table and just did a few at a time till the row was done. Then sewed the rows together as I went along. And of course, just like baking cookies I messed up the first and last row. Thankfully my seam ripper is my best friend.

I will change a few things now that I have it done. For one thing, I don't think the center padding flannel fabric was needed. It did turn out thick and snuggly, but sewing through 6 layers of flannel was hard on the machine and then the seams putting the rows together was 9 layers. My poor machine was groaning. I will also make the squares bigger on the blue one. Just to make the snipping easier. That took awhile. But I still finished it in about a day and a half.

I am sure there are easier ways to do a design, but I am such a noobie, I did not know how. So I just did it slow and easy.

I also need to figure out how to get the lint off the squares. It needs another washing or two so that it is more fluffy, but for now it is done.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Finished, the colors are much prettier in real life.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]27395[/ATTACH]

The back, needs to be pressed I think.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]27400[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-27395.jpe   attachment-27400.jpe