View Single Post
Old 09-23-2020, 11:25 AM
MaryKatherine

Default Repairing a quilt

This quilt is my son's GF. Though it was made by her mother she was a reticent to ask her mother to repair it, It had seen a lot of wear and tear so maybe she was embarrassed.
It's at least 20yrs old evident by the heavy wear on the cotton fabrics, the pristine condition of the poly cotton and the 'wrap' style binding which had deteriorated and fallen off.
After removing what was left of the binding, the role of quilting became very evident. Places where the quilting threads had snapped the batting had migrated up towards the centre. A few times through the wash would have been all it took.
The poly batting also speaks to it's age. I was able to coax the intact batting back into position and machine stitched an anchoring line around the edge. Where ever the quilting had broken, I replaced it using a large stitch like the original. The quilting in the center star was almost all intact, likely because the stitching lines were that much closer.
A new French binding with cotton fabric harmonious to the faded cottons finished it.
I have convinced the owner to retire this one as ask mom for a new one.
Attached Thumbnails dsc01853.jpg