Thread: Frog Stitching
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2020, 07:53 AM
MicheleC

Originally Posted by juliasb View Post
Frog stitching is my least favorite thing to do when quilting and the birds nest are usually caused by the upper tension being off on your machine. Before putting your quilt back on your machine do a practice piece of 3 layers to check the tension. Don't be afraid to tighten it or loosen it. When it is fixed quilt away and no more frog stitching. Oh yeah, you may want to use a safety pin to mark the places that you will need to re-stitch on your quilt top. The safety pin makes it easy to spot those area when all the frog stitching is done. I can't wait to see this quilt.
Thank you for the tips! I didn’t really have birds nests on the quilt, but I found where my tension was off in spots. I believe it was a hand speed vs machine speed issue because the tension was clearly different even within the same line of quilting. I should have practiced more before doing the spiderwebs for sure.

This quilt is a Jelly Roll Race, so it’s not a particularly exciting pattern. One thing it has shown me is how far I’ve come since piecing my first quilts. That’s part of what made me decide to go back and fix it. I know I can do better now!