Thread: Tolerance?
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2020, 11:20 AM
eparys

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
.......For me - 12-3/8 to 12-5/8 inches would be a tolerable size range for a 12-1/2 inch (unfinished size) block.
I would find that range acceptable for me for a 12 1/2 inch unfinished size. I look at the "wiggle room" in terms of percent of the whole block. That 1/4 inch range which you gave is an error of only 2% of the size. Also if you assume that the range is tolerable, you more than likely have a few at the larger size and a few at the smaller size and that amount can be eased in.

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
.......I have also learned - that the smaller the block - such as the Dear Jane ones (Jane A. Blakely Stickle quilt) - the less wiggle room.
For my blocks 6" or less, they need to be spot on. In a 6" block, 1/4" wiggle room is a 4.5% error and for a 4" block it is a 6.25% error. I have been known to rip apart small blocks to get them perfect.

If I am using sashing - I use the same thought process. A 1/8" variance on a 3" sashing is not that noticeable imho but a 1/8" variation on a 1" sashing ?? - I can pick it out a mile away!! lol