View Single Post
Old 09-28-2020, 06:45 AM
tropit

Default Building Shelves Myself

I live with a carpenter/contractor and so, over the years I have not had to learn a lot about building things with wood. Every time I mention that I want to build something, he jumps in and gallantly tells me that he will do that for me. (Not that he actually does it. It just gets put on his very, long list...actually, it never gets done.) The way it usually goes is that when he finally does build it, I paint it. (He hates to paint.) So, I have become a very good painter over the years, but not so handy with power tools. It's all a very sensitive dance that we have played for over 40 years.

So...I've decided that I'm gonna build my shelves in my sewing space, but I'm not going to tell him about it. It will be my, "secret project." I will have to buy, or rent power tools and a few other small tools like a square, etc. I don't know where I'll store these things, but I'll find a place. I'll work on the project while he's gone and clean it all up before he gets back. My Dau says she wants to help. She totally understands the dance. She's a bit of a blabbermouth, so I don't know if I want her in on the game.

I know...very deceptive, but totally effective.

I promise to be careful with the tools and check online for well, thought out instructions on how to build shelving. The shelves will go in a triangular space, up in the loft. There will be lots of shelves to hold those 6-7 inch high plastic bins. That way, I can slide out one bin at a time without having to take out a whole stack of bins to get to the one that I need. Later, I want to replace those plastic bins with ones that I can make out of wood.

I think that when it is all done, it will look amazing! I'll post pix as I progress.